The COVID-19 situation is expanding and changing rapidly around the world and here in Alberta. The health and safety of staff and students is a priority in Livingstone Range School Division and we want to reassure our staff, students, and parents that we have a management plan to prepare for and respond to COVID-19 in our jurisdiction.
We will continue to share information about COVID-19 to help staff and families be informed, consider spring travel plans, and practice good hygiene habits to help prevent illness.
The following information about COVID-19 is provided by Alberta Health Services.
WHAT IS IT?
COVID-19 is a coronavirus, which is a large family of viruses. Some cause respiratory illness, ranging from mild common colds to severe illnesses. These viruses can spread from person to person through close contact. COVID-19 is believed to be spread mainly by coughing, sneezing, or direct contact with someone who is sick with COVID-19 or with surfaces they have recently touched.
HOW DO WE PREVENT IT?
To help protect you and your family against all respiratory illnesses, including flu and COVID-19, you should:
- Wash your hands often and well
- Avoid touching your face, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- When sick, cover your cough and sneezes and then wash your hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Don't share items that may have saliva on them such as drinking glasses and water bottles
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that are frequently touched, such as taps, doorknobs, and countertops
- Stay at home and away from others if you are feeling ill
HOW DO WE PREPARE?
For Albertans looking to prepare for COVID-19, Alberta public health officials recommend the following:
- Create a household plan of action with practical steps like ensuring you have sufficient medication supplies. There is no need to purchase food or supplies in bulk at this time.
- Practice good personal health habits.
- Choose a room in your home that can be used to separate sick household members from those who are healthy. Identify a separate bathroom for the sick person to use, if possible.
- Plan to clean these rooms, as needed, when someone is sick.
WHAT IF I GET SICK?
If you have symptoms such as fever, cough and difficulty breathing and have travelled outside Canada or have been exposed to someone who has COVID-19, stay home and call Health Link 811.